Friday, July 06, 2007

What about yo Friends!

Today, I came to the realization of what it means to be a friend. Life's can be crazy! But through the thick and thin its great to know you have some people who support you in every endeavor. In every phase of life, every season change, and the moments you find the most critical, who do you lean or call on during these circumstances? These people are what I call friends. Sometimes you lose them and sometimes you win them. I can say that I have had a lot of friends over the course of my existence. Most of my friendships from childhood till now have cease to last but I have gained valuable tokens as a result. Friends are not meant to last forever. Just like fashion, what may be considered "IN" loses its appeal the next season, but never fear it could eventually come back in style later.

The notion of meeting your "REAL FRIENDS" in college can be true for some and differ for others. What about those individuals who never go to college? Regardless of if they went to college with you are not, I've come to the conclusion that your closest friends are the ones who share in your struggles, who dream with you, who support you when you fall and who pick you up after such shortcomings! Friendship does not require a phone call every day or every week! But its does suggest being there for each another. Friendship is the equivalent of love - in my opinion. As the scripture goes:

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking. It is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. I Corinthians 13:4-8."

Yes, I can admit that I tried to make some friendships work. But in the end, it was just an effort gone to waste in certain circumstances. Yes, you grow from these experiences and relationships can become stronger. I just encourage you to not become a fool in the midst. Be honest with yourself -thats most important. Is the friendship really going anywhere? I don't like a lot a baggage. Get rid of what you can. You be the judge! I am reminded of a song by TLC, "What about yo FRIENDS."

And just when you thought the friendship was over, look at what the rain brought in!

2 comments:

Kat said...

Wonderful! Simply wonderful... ;)

Your Favorite Teacher said...

It is amazing how time flies.

Take this, your 25th year of life and make this life the best life you can live. I have just realized, after 28 years of living, that my life is limitless. The possibilities for greatness are endless and the only limits we face are self-imposed.

It seems like just yesterday you were inquiring about enrolling at Mississippi State and we were sitting in the Union’s small auditorium, discussing why you should become a bulldog. Seven years later, you are not only a bulldog, but you are an alumni of one of the greatest universities in the country.

You not only attended Mississippi State, but you left your mark there. Only 10% of all the students who graduate from Mississippi State achieve some of the things you have. High academic marks, orientation leader, roadrunner, resident assistant, active member of the Student Government Association, Black Student Alliance, Holmes Cultural Diversity Center, you have done well. More than just that, you have integrity, honesty, and come from a place of humility. Mississippi State University is a better place because of you. I am a better person because of you. Thank you, Lamonte, for being the man that you are.

Lamonte, you have dealt with so much in your life. I know there has been pain and I know there have been hardships, but through all of that, you have grown into one of the most positive people I know.

I expect great things from you and the world needs great things from you.

Lamonte, continue to grow and continue to live in the light of your dreams. I am with you and God is in you.